Please see below for our current job openings:
PLEASE KŌKUA by passing this announcement along to your ʻohana and friends. Mahalo nui loa!
The Mana Mele Project seeks music, multimedia, or creative industry ARTISTS & EDUCATORS to share their craft with Hawaiʻi youth for the 2022-23 School Year.
Mana Maoli is currently seeking part time teachers on Oʻahu for our Mana Mele Project.
APPLY HERE: link.manamaoli.org/apply
Position Mana Mele Music, Multimedia, or Digital Media Instructor & Mentor
- Year-long Instructor or Mentor Positions – Oʻahu only
- Guest Kumu (On-call substitutes) – Oʻahu, Kauaʻi, Hawaiʻi
- Short-term Special Topic Mentors – Oʻahu, Kauaʻi, Hawaiʻi
Start Date July/August 2022 → Availability for training on July 25 is highly recommended
First day of instruction depends on school schedule, and is usually around mid-August
Dates of instruction: Mid-August to Late May (approx 40 weeks), no classes during school breaks
Compensation/Hours Available (hours per week are negotiable dependent upon need and availability)
$25/hr, hrs/wk varies (approx. 2-8 hrs per week of instructional time)
Besides instructional hours, kumu are also paid for additional work including the following:
- Prorated class prep time
- Time spent completing deliverables
- Participation in mandatory professional development (“PD”) workshops and training sessions
First PD for start-of-year orientation and training is on July 25, 2022
Additional PDs will be scheduled during the fall and spring semesters
Locations & Time Primarily Hawaiian immersion and Hawaiian-focused Public Charter schools on Oʻahu, Kauaʻi, and Hawaiʻi (also includes Native Hawaiian-serving DOE/independent schools). Classes may be in-school electives (between 8AM and 2:30PM) or afterschool enrichment classes (between 1:30PM and 5PM) with sessions lasting 45 to 120 minutes.
- Oʻahu: Honolulu, Windward (Kāneʻohe, Waimānalo), and Leeward (Nānākuli/Waiʻanae)
- Kauaʻi: Anahola, Lihuʻe, Kekaha
- Hawaiʻi: Hilo, Keaʻau, Waimea
Kuleana The primary kuleana of the kumu is to foster student enjoyment and abilities in music, multimedia, or digital media (each class focuses primarily on one of these), as they increase college/career readiness and cultural grounding in the process. This will be done via piloting place and culture-based curriculum, developed and shared by Mana Mele’s Academy Design Team and instructors.
DUTIES include but are not limited to:
- Music, multimedia, or digital media instruction to Hawaiian charter, immersion and DOE youth;
- Preparing and implementing lesson plans;
- Class management (classes range from grade K-12);
- Facilitating rehearsals and performances;
- Completing logs and issuing assessments; and
- Attending at least 3 Professional Development training sessions during the year
INSTRUCTORS of year-long classes focus on teaching the Mana Mele ABC’s – Academics, Business and Culture – through music or multimedia. Deliverables include a course syllabus, an instructor log (including feedback on lessons piloted), and pre/post assessment results
MENTORS provide mentorships focused on a specific area, e.g. ʻukulele, singing, sound engineering, video production. Deliverables include a mentorship planning and reflection form
* High School Diploma
* Experience working with youth in Grades K-12
* Strong music, performing arts, or digital/multimedia background
* Reliable, on time, strong verbal/written communication skills
* Knowledge of and/or strong respect for Hawaiian culture – willingness to learn more, and integrate into class instruction
* Lots of patience, passion, perseverance, and aloha!
* College degree or certificate in Education, Music, Creative Media, or related fields
* Strong grounding/proficiency in Hawaiian music, culture, and language
* Curriculum and program development experience
* 3+ years of instruction, especially with middle/high school aged youth, and/or instruction at Hawaiian charter or immersion schools, or schools in areas of high Native Hawaiian populations.
* Knowledge of music literacy and theory
* Skilled in research techniques, culture resources, and Indigenous/Western teaching practices and strategies.
* Computer, digital and media literacy.
In accordance with Mana Maoli employment policy, candidates for this position may be subject to a criminal background check.
How to apply: visit link.manamaoli.org/apply
Do you have a passion for serving Native Hawaiian youth & communities? Ready to take that passion to the next level in your career path? Mana Maoli seeks qualified & committed team players to join our awesome staff and collective of music/multimedia industry professionals in serving youth across 20 schools on Oʻahu, Kauaʻi, & Hawaiʻi Island under our Mana Mele Project:
An Executive Assistant, Senior Executive Assistant, OR Assistant Director to support our Executive Director and Executive Team – full or part-time hours possible.
See below for kuleana as well as minimum and preferred qualifications for each position, as well as details on how to apply.
Executive Assistant/ Senior Exec. Asst / Assistant Director
This is a great opportunity for those with excellent verbal and written communication, organization and multi-tasking skills, and experience providing executive level administrative assistance. Full or part time hours are possible. Like the Executive Director, this position has a wide array and nature of tasks, and on any given day could be working with any given team in the nonprofit, based on priority tasks and projects of the time. Thus, below are common types of tasks that occur in addition to ʻone-offʻ or project/team specific tasks :
- Communication/Coordination – i.e. Drafting/sending correspondence via email, text message, phone etc to partners, funders and staff on behalf of the ED
- Organization/Filing – i.e. Documenting, prioritizing and tracking status of own and EDʻs tasks and key correspondence (using Asana task management software)
- Manage and oversee various google calendars
- Assist with budgets, spreadsheets, and google form surveys
- Primary production assistant during events, video shoots, livestreams, etc.
- Assist other team leaders and staff (program, audio, video and social media) as needed
- participating in meeting with or ED or on behalf of ED, and related note taking
- College degree (BA or higher)
- Highly organized, i.e. able to quickly prioritize tasks, proficient in task management
- Strong desire to work with Hawaiian community in a Hawaiian cultural context and engage with youth
- Detail-oriented and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Weekday availability
- Excellent people skills – able to work with a wide range of people and learning styles
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, and Google drive
Additional Minimum Qualifications specific to each position:
Executive Assistant (EA):
- 2-9 years experience as Executive Assistant or equivalent
Senior Executive Assistant (SEA):
- 10-20+ years experience as Executive Assistant or equivalent
Assistant Director (AD):
- Must have 4+ years in leadership level positions at a Hawaiian culture-based nonprofit, directly overseeing 10 or more staff, or 15+ years in a mix of support and leadership positions at a Hawaiian culture-based nonprofit.
EA, SEA, AD:
- Must live on Oʻahu
- Evening and weekend availability as needed (i.e. events, film shoots)
Preferred Qualifications for all positions:
- Proficiency in ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi and/or various aspects of Hawaiian culture
- Experience teaching and/or working with youth, especially Hawaiian and low-income youth, and/or Hawaiian nonprofits
- Networks related to the fundraising and/or implementation of the Mana Mele Project
- Skills and experience related to 1 or more of the 4 areas of mentorship – music, engineering, video production and communications (TV, radio, news)
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Asana
- Experience writing and managing grants
1) Please enter the position(s) you are applying for in the subject heading, based on your experience level, followed by your name.
2) Please attach a resume and cover letter, which can speak to why you are applying, and any skills/experiences that show your qualifications for the position(s) you are applying for, especially if not evident in your resume.
3) What is your typing speed?
4) Please give an honest self-assessment of your strength in the following – from 1 (no experience/skills) to 10 (just a notch shy of perfect):
In accordance with Mana Maoli employment policy, candidates for this position will be subject to a criminal background check.