Please see below for our current job openings:
PLEASE KŌKUA by passing this announcement along to your ʻohana and friends. Mahalo nui loa!
The Mana Mele Project seeks music, multimedia, or creative industry ARTISTS & EDUCATORS to share their craft with Hawaiʻi youth for the 2022-23 School Year.
Mana Maoli is currently seeking part time teachers on Oʻahu for our Mana Mele Project.
APPLY HERE: link.manamaoli.org/apply
Position Mana Mele Music, Multimedia, or Digital Media Instructor & Mentor
- Year-long Instructor or Mentor Positions – Oʻahu only
- Guest Kumu (On-call substitutes) – Oʻahu, Kauaʻi, Hawaiʻi
- Short-term Special Topic Mentors – Oʻahu, Kauaʻi, Hawaiʻi
Start Date July/August 2022 → Availability for training on July 25 is highly recommended
First day of instruction depends on school schedule, and is usually around mid-August
Dates of instruction: Mid-August to Late May (approx 40 weeks), no classes during school breaks
Compensation/Hours Available (hours per week are negotiable dependent upon need and availability)
$25/hr, hrs/wk varies (approx. 2-8 hrs per week of instructional time)
Besides instructional hours, kumu are also paid for additional work including the following:
- Prorated class prep time
- Time spent completing deliverables
- Participation in mandatory professional development (“PD”) workshops and training sessions
First PD for start-of-year orientation and training is on July 25, 2022
Additional PDs will be scheduled during the fall and spring semesters
Locations & Time Primarily Hawaiian immersion and Hawaiian-focused Public Charter schools on Oʻahu, Kauaʻi, and Hawaiʻi (also includes Native Hawaiian-serving DOE/independent schools). Classes may be in-school electives (between 8AM and 2:30PM) or afterschool enrichment classes (between 1:30PM and 5PM) with sessions lasting 45 to 120 minutes.
- Oʻahu: Honolulu, Windward (Kāneʻohe, Waimānalo), and Leeward (Nānākuli/Waiʻanae)
- Kauaʻi: Anahola, Lihuʻe, Kekaha
- Hawaiʻi: Hilo, Keaʻau, Waimea
Kuleana The primary kuleana of the kumu is to foster student enjoyment and abilities in music, multimedia, or digital media (each class focuses primarily on one of these), as they increase college/career readiness and cultural grounding in the process. This will be done via piloting place and culture-based curriculum, developed and shared by Mana Mele’s Academy Design Team and instructors.
DUTIES include but are not limited to:
- Music, multimedia, or digital media instruction to Hawaiian charter, immersion and DOE youth;
- Preparing and implementing lesson plans;
- Class management (classes range from grade K-12);
- Facilitating rehearsals and performances;
- Completing logs and issuing assessments; and
- Attending at least 3 Professional Development training sessions during the year
INSTRUCTORS of year-long classes focus on teaching the Mana Mele ABC’s – Academics, Business and Culture – through music or multimedia. Deliverables include a course syllabus, an instructor log (including feedback on lessons piloted), and pre/post assessment results
MENTORS provide mentorships focused on a specific area, e.g. ʻukulele, singing, sound engineering, video production. Deliverables include a mentorship planning and reflection form
* High School Diploma
* Experience working with youth in Grades K-12
* Strong music, performing arts, or digital/multimedia background
* Reliable, on time, strong verbal/written communication skills
* Knowledge of and/or strong respect for Hawaiian culture – willingness to learn more, and integrate into class instruction
* Lots of patience, passion, perseverance, and aloha!
* College degree or certificate in Education, Music, Creative Media, or related fields
* Strong grounding/proficiency in Hawaiian music, culture, and language
* Curriculum and program development experience
* 3+ years of instruction, especially with middle/high school aged youth, and/or instruction at Hawaiian charter or immersion schools, or schools in areas of high Native Hawaiian populations.
* Knowledge of music literacy and theory
* Skilled in research techniques, culture resources, and Indigenous/Western teaching practices and strategies.
* Computer, digital and media literacy.
In accordance with Mana Maoli employment policy, candidates for this position may be subject to a criminal background check.
How to apply: visit link.manamaoli.org/apply