The Community Outreach Manager & Mentor (COMM) will take lead on social media management and other forms of outreach and community building, while providing training and oversight to both high school interns producing and managing content for their own schoolsʻ pages, and to staff and college interns assisting with Mana Maoliʻs and partnersʻ pages, to provide broader reach for student products, content highlighting our Mana Mele Programs, and content promoting Hawaiian values, culture, language, and other content aligned with MM and partnersʻ missions.
The Community Outreach Assistant (COA) will assist the COMM in managing Mana Maoliʻs social media and other projects related to community outreach goals of the organization.
For both positions, full time and part-time hours are possible.
Kuleana (Job Duties): Below outlines the kuleana for our Hui Hoʻoulu Kaiaulu (Community Development Team). The COMM position would take ultimate responsibility for assuring that these tasks are implemented in a timely and effective manner, via a mix of delegating and overseeing tasks to 2 support staff and college interns, and independant work. The COA would assist with these tasks, based on relative strengths among the team, and relative priorities as determined by the COMM.
Social Media Management
- Content Creation, Scheduling, Management: Collaborate with our community outreach and digital storytelling teams to create compelling visual and written content for our social media platforms. This includes designing graphics, crafting engaging captions, and brainstorming content ideas that align with our brand. Scheduling and publishing posts across various social media channels, ensuring consistent and cohesive messaging. Monitor and respond to comments, messages, and interactions to maintain a positive online presence.
- Analytics and Insights: Tracking and analyzing social media metrics to measure the effectiveness of campaigns and content. Provide insights to the team on trends, engagement patterns, and opportunities for improvement.
- Online Events & Strategy: Coordinate and implement social media campaigns and events including widely sharing student created products. Contribute to strategies for growing our social media following.
- Engagement with online audience: Actively engage with our online community by responding to comments, messages, and mentions. Identify opportunities to initiate conversations and encourage user-generated content.
- Plan & lead trainings, mentorships and related follow-up support for staff and high school/college interns related to social media & other outreach strategies
- Develop and maintain partnerships with industry professionals in the social media, PR, and/or outreach fields
- Serve as liaison between industry professionals and partner schools for all collaborative efforts
- Coordinate outreach/PR for MM public events and online fundraisers, as well as job and program opportunities
Budget & Reporting Kuleana
- Manage the budget related to community outreach work
- Accurately track and provide data, deliverables and information needed for grant proposals and reports
- High School Diploma or equivalent and at least 2 years post-secondary education
- At least 1 year of experience managing an organization’s social media accounts, including Facebook & Instagram (i.e. Meta Business Suite, Instagram Reels) on both desktop & mobile versions
- Basic knowledge and familiarity with Hawaiian culture, values and language
- Able to work quickly & efficiently alone and when leading a group
- Evening and weekend availability
- Lots of patience, passion, perseverance, and aloha!
Additional Minimum Qualifications for COMM:
- BA degree or higher in Business Admin, Marketing, Communications or related field or related professional experience
- 3+ years experience managing an organizationʻs social media accounts
- Familiar with social media applications and features such as crossposting on FB, live streaming on FB & IG, FB Live Producer, and ads/boosts
- At least 1 year experience in leading/managing a small team
- Strong proficiency in ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi
- Experience in mentoring youth or related experience in education
- 3+ years experience in Hawaiian cultural practices, working with Hawaiian communities
- Proficient in Canva
- Experience in graphic design (having a portfolio is a plus!)
- Experience in video editing (short form or long form)
- Experience in email marketing (MailChimp)
- Experience in web design