Mana Maoli Seeks College & Career Coordinator
LAST DAY TO APPLY IS 10/23/17
Start Date: Flex – sometime in the month of October
Hours: Flex – 30-40hrs/wk
Mana Maoli is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that founded Hālau Kū Māna Public Charter School, Kanehūnāmoku Voyaging Academy, and the Mana Mele Project (see manamele.org for more info).
The Mana Mele Project (MMP) is a collaboration between Mana Maoli, 12 schools on Oʻahu and Kauaʻi, (primarily Hawaiian charter and immersion schools), and various University and community partners (e.g. the MELE program at HCC, the School of Communications at UH-Mānoa). The MMP features a Music & Multimedia Academy, 4-in-1 solar-powered mobile studio, and mentorships connecting pro artists with youth. With the recent award of a federal grant, our current focus is building on the college/career pipeline component of the MMP.
Summary: The primary kuleana of the Career & College Coordinator (CCC) is to work with and build on Mana Maoli’s network of creative industry professionals, university and community partners and charter/immersion school partners, to provide on-campus mentorships, off-campus internships, and college/career support services to youth and young adult project participants. This includes coordinating college program tours for juniors and seniors, college application and FAFSA training, and ongoing mentorship relationships to help project alumni succeed in college and career endeavors. Finally, the CCC facilitates peer mentoring of program alumni who “give back” through service learning in other areas of the project. After an initial training period, the majority of the admin/coordination component of work duties can be done remotely.
- Plan, coordinate, and oversee on-campus mentorships and real-world internships especially in the creative industries of music, sound engineering, multimedia and communications (journalism, broadcasting, etc), that bridge specific demand for services and geographical logistics with the appropriate mentors or internship sites. This includes working with existing partners, and may also entail forming new partnerships.
- Plan, coordinate and provide or oversee college/career support services to high school juniors and seniors at our partner schools, including but not limited to:
- Verbal and written information on post-secondary college/career options, especially in the creative industries, and scholarship options related to these fields, as well as other scholarships relevant to project participants (Native Hawaiian, low-income, etc)
- Setting up tours of college campuses, with focus on departments related to the Creative Industries
- Assure all 11th and 12th grade project participants are provided or offered support with FAFSA, college admissions, and scholarship applications, via a mix of coordination/oversight of these services provided by partners at high school and college campuses, and direct service.
- Attend project team, advisory council and other meetings as needed
- Work with the project team to develop forms, assessment tools, and other project documentation; Develop systems to track project data and deliverables relevant to the CCC position; Manage project data and information; Maintain files and project documentation
- As needed, assist with all funder reporting requirements, other training and support to project participants, and other duties as assigned by the PD.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or 5+ years experience with career or college counseling
- Excellent people skills – able to work with a wide range of people and learning styles
- Strong desire to work with Hawaiian community in a Hawaiian cultural context and engage with youth
- Strong networking, communication, and organizational skills
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher, and 8+ years experience with office administration and project management
- Experience in counseling, internship and/or culture-based programs, creative industries (music, engineering, video, communications), and/or curriculum development
- Experience teaching and working with youth, especially Hawaiian charter and immersion schools, and other groups serving primarily Hawaiian and low-income youth
- Strong grounding in Hawaiian language, culture and values
Mana Maoliʻs Office is located at Jarrett Middle School in Palolo. Much of the admin and office work for this position may be done remotely. Meetings and direct services will occur at our office and partner sites. The CCC will be allowed to set their own weekly work schedule, noting special hours may be needed for up to 2 trips per year to our Kauaʻi schools (2-3 days per trip) and up to 2 events per year (likely on a weekend night).
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter ASAP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please name your resume and cover letter files as shown below.
- CCC FirstName LastName Resume.docx/.doc/.pdf
- CCC FirstName LastName Cover Letter.docx/.doc/.pdf
The email subject heading should read as follows, personalized with your name:
- Mana Mele Career & College Coordinator Application – FirstName LastName
Also, please help us spread the word by passing this announcement along to your `ohana and friends.
In accordance with Mana Maoli employment policy, candidates for this position may be subject to a criminal background check.