Who is up for the exciting challenge of teaching our Hawaiian Charter School youth Mana Maoli’s ‘ABC’s’ – Academics, Business, & Culture – through music?
On behalf of its partner schools, Mana Maoli is now hiring instructors for our Mana Mele Project. Here is an opportunity to make a difference – via innovative, real world, culture-based education in support of Hawaiian charter school youth, alongside Hawaii’s music and multimedia industry professionals. Please read on, see the links below, and please help us spread word of this opportunity – mahalo nui!
Mana Maoli is currently seeking part time teachers on Oahu for our Mana Mele Project: http://manamele.org
Position: Mana Mele Music/Multimedia Instructor
Start Date: July/August 2017
Compensation/Hours Available (hours per week are negotiable):
$25/hr, hrs/wk varies (see below), up to 40wks per school year. For classes with 3hrs instruction per week, we allow 1 hour paid prep. Classes with 2 hours instruction per week, are allowed 45 min paid prep.
Locations and Schedules (applicants may apply for 1 or more of the following 5 classes)
– Halau Ku Mana Public Charter School (Makiki)
4-5th grade: Wednesdays from 1:40 – 2:15 and Thursdays from 12:30pm – 1:35pm
6th grade: Mondays and Wednesdays from 12:30pm – 1:35pm
– Hakipu’u Public Charter School (Kaneohe)
6-12th grade: Fridays from 8:30am – 12:30pm (tentative, includes breaks)
– Ka Waihona O Ka Na`auao Public Charter School (Nanakuli)
5-8th grade: Mondays & Wednesdays OR Tuesdays & Thursdays 2:45pm – 4:15pm
– Pauoa Elementary
K-2nd grade: Tuesdays & Fridays 2:30pm – 4:00pm
3-5th grade: Tuesdays & Fridays 2:30pm – 4:00pm
– Roosevelt High School
Mondays 1:15pm – 2:00pm
Tuesdays & Thursdays 11:45am – 1:00pm
Kuleana: The primary kuleana of the Music Instructor is to foster student enjoyment and abilities in music or multimedia (each class focuses primarily on one of these), as they increase college/career readiness and cultural grounding in the process. This will be done via piloting place and culture-based curriculum, developed and shared by Mana Mele’s Academy Design Team and instructors.
* High School Diploma
* College Degree and/or experience working with youth
* Strong music background
* Reliable, on time, strong verbal/written communication skills
* Knowledge of and/or strong respect for Hawaiian culture – willingness to learn more, and integrate into class instruction
* Lots of patience, passion, perseverance, and aloha!
* Strong background/abilities related to music, engineering, music business, and/or video production
* BA degree or higher, especially in Education or majors related to the 4 areas noted above
* Strong grounding/proficiency in Hawaiian music, culture, and language
* Curriculum and program development experience
* 3+ years of instruction, especially with middle/high school aged youth, and/or instruction at Hawaiian charter or immersion schools, or schools in areas of high Native Hawaiian populations.
* Knowledge of music literacy and theory
* Skilled in culture resources, and Indigenous/Western teaching practices and strategies.
* Computer, digital and media literacy.
In accordance with Mana Maoli employment policy, candidates for this position may be subject to a criminal background check.
How to apply: Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com. Please name your resume and cover letter files as shown below.
FirstName LastName Resume.docx/.doc/.pdf
FirstName LastName Cover Letter.docx/.doc/.pdf
The email subject heading should read as follows, personalized with your name: Mana Mele Instructor Application – FirstName LastName
Also, please help us spread the word by passing this announcement along to your `ohana and friends.
Mahalo nui loa!